History

Armadale Hospital was established in 1929 on Church Avenue, Armadale as a private hospital consisting of four maternity beds and one general bed.

In 1948 an Act of Parliament declared Armadale Hospital a public hospital and this provided extra resources that led to a new 36-bed hospital opening on Albany Highway in 1964.

The site at Church Avenue continued to provide maternity services to the community until 1971 when a new maternity wing with 32 beds was added to the hospital on Albany Highway. The Church Avenue site was later converted to provide services for people with physical and mental disabilities.

From 1970 to 1980 additions to the hospital on Albany Highway included a new children’s ward, an emergency department, a psycho-geriatric unit, an aged care restorative unit, a mental health unit and a community health and development centre.

In 2001 this new $60 million public and private hospital (Galliers Private Hospital) was opened to provide services for the fast-growing community in the south-east metropolitan area.

In 2005 the State Government took control of the Galliers Private Hospital and the services were incorporated into the Armadale Health Service.

Our Emergency Department underwent a major expansion in 2009 to double its capacity and in 2010 a new Level 1 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) was also opened.

Today the health service, which incorporates the Armadale Hospital and the Armadale Mental Health Service, provides a range of quality health care services through multidisciplinary teams in one of Western Australia’s fastest growing areas.